funsec mailing list archives

Re: Clinton's Office Says Her Passport Files Also Breached

From: "John C. A. Bambenek, GCIH, CISSP" <bambenek.infosec () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:37:57 -0500

From the CISSP code of ethics:

To discourage such behavior as:

   - Raising unnecessary alarm, fear, uncertainty, or doubt

Yes, it was a big deal, the individuals, after all, got fired.  But this
chicken little response is unwarranted.  An independent investigation?  What
for?  Do you believe that Secretary Rice somehow has some conflict that
mitigates her ability to investigate this?

" but when they involve possible nominees for the presidency of the United
States, they are catastrophic."

Exactly how is it catastrophic?  Bad, sure.  If we want to talk about
catastrophes let's talk about something that entails significant loss of
life, extreme financial harm or some kind of system collapse.  This
hyperventalating hysteria over an access control violation that was caught,
dealt with and the offenders fired before the press got wind of it only
serves to diminish the professionalism of the field by showing people to be
highly strung paranoids.

In fact, exactly how were the disclosures extensive?  As far as I can see,
the press doesn't know the answer to that question and I question whether
you do either.  So before we run half-cocked all around, let's have some
sense of perspective.  Both of the certifications I hold insist on that and
so does the tenets of professionalism.

And I think it says something that when I make an offhanded comment about
disdain for American politics, you both make it personal about my
professional competency within information security.