funsec mailing list archives

Guilty verdict in music file-sharing case (CNN)

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 15:41:01 -0700 (PDT)

Guilty verdict in music file-sharing case

Minn. woman ordered to pay $220,000 to record companies for illegally
sharing copyrighted material.
October 4 2007: 6:27 PM EDT

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) -- The recording industry won a key fight Thursday
against illegal music downloading when a federal jury found a Minnesota
woman shared copyrighted music online and levied $220,000 in damages
against her.

The jury ordered Jammie Thomas, 30, to pay the six record companies
that sued her $9,250 for each of 24 songs they focused on in the case.
They had alleged she shared 1,702 songs in all.

More:
http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/04/news/download_guilty.ap/index.htm?postversion=2007100418

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision."