funsec mailing list archives

Re: Trojan Found In New HDs Sold In Taiwan

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:13:07 -0500

On 11/14/07, Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi> wrote:
Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> kirjoitti:
On 11/13/07, Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi> wrote:
The description of this malware (Kaspersky's writeup):

Virus.Win32.AutoRun.ah
http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/encyclopedia?virusid=160221

The payload is not so bad in corporate environment...

The virus modifies values of the following system registry keys:

[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
DisableTaskMgr = 1
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
NoFolderOptions = 1

It also searches the hard disk partitions <snip> for files with an
".mp3" extension:
<snip>
These files wil then be deleted.

Thanks for provifing the summary to readers not visit the Viruslist.com URL.

err sure, anytime..

Additionally, Trend has listed several malware names too, e.g.

I was just wondering why the articles said: This virus -->uploads
all<-- your files to X, and the one you posted said it -->deleted<--
all your -->mp3<-- files. I could have just mis-clicked on a url
again..

-JP