funsec mailing list archives

Re: Trojan Found In New HDs Sold In Taiwan

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:12:56 -0500 (EST)

Doesn't everyone format new hard drives?

Well, I certainly don't; indeed, most of the new disks I get are IDE,
and I don't know of any way to reformat those at all.

I do, however, ignore the data on them, which, from the sound of this,
would be enough to defend against this threat.  (Based on the names,
the malware in question probably wouldn't run on my systems anyway, but
that's a separate line of defense.)

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca