funsec mailing list archives

RE: mac trojan in-the-wild

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 08:31:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, Larry Seltzer wrote:
Well, we'd make all Mac users -- who historically have thought they
did not need to -- install some reliable and up-to-date form of malware
detecting software, and have that software reliably and uniquely report
their infected-/affected-ness to a central repository.

Hmmm... What I thought.

Even if it's very successful the numbers will probably be small enough
that the folks who monitor botnets won't be able to notice them. In the
Windows world the MSRT and AV companies can give us some sense of
specific infection rates.

Not so. We can also count Linux infections and Windows is still larger in quantity.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blogs.eweek.com/cheap_hack/
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com