funsec mailing list archives

Re: mac trojan in-the-wild

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 20:37:49 -0400

On 11/1/07, Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk> wrote:
Dude VanWinkle wrote:

<<snip>>
<Dude, Channeling Mr Ovbvoius>
Also the cost to buy the talent required to find malware on mac vs
windows costs the same, but returns less.
</end Dude, Channeling Mr Obvious>

Ummm -- you missed the real obvious...

Above is false for the simple reason that at least some anti-malware
researchers can and do specialize in more than one malware target
platform (and with Macs now using x86 chips, the Win32/Mac boundaries
are less than they were previously).

And even if your engineers need to work on PowerPC Malware and only
know Intel, you can just feed it into into Rosetta (wink wink) :-)

Seriously though, I was taking money, RIO, cost analysis, bottom line
type stuff. I am still probably wrong (never having sold software),
but I was thinking along the lines of: Even if your researchers can
find both MacMalware and Windows Malware, you still have to hire more
people to cover the workload they are not doing while researching
MacMalware.

I still don't know if the market for Mac AV/AS is big enough to pay
off, but I do not know anyone running AV on a Mac where I work and we
have a site license for McAfee AV (all versions).

-JP<chaneling the wndows 3.1 spel checkr>