funsec mailing list archives

Re: R: Yup, works for us too!

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:33:48 -0400

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:53:09 EDT, der Mouse said:
The actual reasons to avoid strong language (I gather "swearing" here
is meant to include all sufficiently strong language, including
vulgarities, obscenities, and curses as well as oaths) are more
complicated and fuzzier, and I think it's actually closer to "use the
correct register for the context" more than "avoid certain words" - and
some registers basically just don't use certain words (a phenomenon not
restricted to strong language, either; some of the more informal
registers in English don't use "utilize", for example).

And of course, there's the register we use when we have just stubbed our toe. ;)