funsec mailing list archives

Re: cc: Re: too beautiful not to share

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 22:43:27 -0400

On 10/4/07, Dennis Henderson <hendomatic () gmail com> wrote:
Yes the US plays the game "the enemy of my enemy is my friend(for a while)"
Yes the US armed IQ against IR in the 80's.  Lesser of 2 evils (at the
time.)
The foreign policy at the time was to prevent the spread of communism
wherever it occurs.
Yes Donald Rumsfeld took part in that policy. So what? Should he have been
shaking hands with the Ayatolla instead?
Time goes on. Things change.

Some things change. Some things dont. Even though we have been bitten
in the ass time and time again by arming violent psychopaths, I don't
think that will change. The really stupid ideas behind this history of
arming mass murderers are (as you so kindly pointed out):: "prevent
the spread of communism wherever it occurs." and "the enemy of my
enemy is my friend(for a while)" and "Lesser of 2 evils".

These have been proven to be not only counter-intuitive, but also
counter productive. If we are all about "freedom", why should you not
be free to practice Communism if you want to? If Bob eats the heart of
the guy who beat me up, he is probably not a good person to hang
around (and I probably shouldn't give him chemical weapons either). If
I have to choose between raping a baby and killing my sister, I would
do neither.

These phrases have been used to make people believe incredibly stupid
foreign policies could actually work. Maybe if we tried exporting food
and education rather than M16's and Missie Factories people might not
try and blow us up so much.

-JP

P.S.: Exporting food as a guise to trick the starving into switching
to Christianity doesnt count