funsec mailing list archives

Re: How much security does $1 trillion buy?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:40:32 -0400

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:22:23 CDT, Brian Loe said:

So, of the full-truths I listed, which did the current administration
pick half of?

How about this one?

He had, at the least, plans for a nuke program - and the means to obtaining one
Ah yes.. the infamous "yellow cake from Niger".  I seem to remember that it
turned out to be totally bogus - and that Valerie Plame was involved in the
discovery that it was bogus.  Would certainly explain why it was convenient
to "out" her...

He had chemical weapons out the wazoo.

Maybe 10 years before we invaded, he had a bunch that he used against some
resistance in the northern provinces.  But where were they when we actually
got there?  Where are all the WMD that we *knew* had to be there somewhere,
as Colin Powell told the United Nations?

He gassed his own people.

And we poured Agent Orange on our own troops too.  Does that give other countries
the right to invade us?

He drained the marshlands, destroying one of the largest wetland
systems in the world (where are the tree huggers on this?!).

By that standard, our refusal to abide by the Kyoto protocols regarding
emissions control puts *us* in a bad light too.

And you overlooked another "half-truth" - that we were invading Iraq because
they were major backers of al Quaida.