funsec mailing list archives

Re: What Happened to The 56 Men Who Signed the DeclarationofIndependence ?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 21:02:46 -0500

On 7/8/07, Larry Seltzer <Larry () larryseltzer com> wrote:
>>Besides, he IS the president of the Senate and that, in and of itself,
carries a certain amount of weight

No it doesn't. VP's don't ever bother presiding over the Senate unless
there's a chance of a tie vote. There's no upside to it otherwise.

Really? So what makes Cheney such an evil character these days?

I think you're ignoring the very real and oft demonstrated POLITICAL
power of that office.

>>Lincoln was the first Republican after all.

No, he wasn't. He wasn't even the first Republican presidential
candidate (John Fremont in 1856). He was the first Republican president;
is that what you meant?

Yes, that's what I mean. Or, put another way, the first Republican
that meant anything - and personally I would have preferred that he
was the last. Oh well...can't have everything.