funsec mailing list archives

RE: Quote of the Day: Cory Doctorow

From: Charles PICKENS <charles.pickens () itergy com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 07:24:51 -0400

Unfortunately, this falls into the category of “just because you can do something…”

The perception here is “They’ll throw everyone with a VCR into the can!”
The actual outcome of this is “We’ll throw select in-DUH-viduals into the can… at our discretion.”

A law is just words on paper (yeah, the “paperless office” is still a fantasy) without enforcement. Enforcement of a
law is very, VERY selective. I tend to see this and the pattern of other new (ish) laws as a precursor to a more robust
RIAA-type of enforcement. “If we catch you with music files, we have all the leverage we need to lock you up… “

No, I’m not paranoid… but I know how laws like this can (and often are) arbitrarily enforced.