funsec mailing list archives

Re: Quote of the Day: Bruce Schneier

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 14:18:56 -0500

On 5/17/07, sam stover <sam.stover () gmail com> wrote:
> It's a key ingredient in the "secret sauce" in Big Macs.  It's shipped in specially
> sealed 45 gallon (not 300 litre) drums.  Actually, it's a binary chemical, combining
> with another ingredient in Coke.  Distribution is handled by Walmart.  You can
> read all about it on CNN.

commerce == culture?

We could set up a Wal-Mart in every country in the world, and I would
guess Wal-Mart would gear their products toward that country's
interest.

But "we" - as in the country - can't do that because we don't own
Wal-Mart, or any other commercial enterprise.

Further, I have hear no reports of people being forced at gun point to
enter into an American owned company and buy American culture so I
have to believe this isn't an example of the U.S. exporting its
culture either.

Hasn't it often been said that the culture of the US is a mirror of
the many cultures we accept - being a country of immigrants? Or is it
more accurate to say, now, that our culture is whatever is being sold
to us at the time you observe it?