funsec mailing list archives

Re: Quote of the Day: Bruce Schneier

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 08:42:02 -0500

On 5/17/07, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:

"It's our brains again. We need to 'do something,' even if
that something doesn't make sense; even if it is ineffective.
And we need to do something directly related to the details of
the actual event."

"So instead of implementing effective, but more general, security
measures to reduce the risk of terrorism, we ban box cutters on
airplanes."

- - Bruce Schneier, writing in one of the best commentaries I think
he's ever written. Read the entire commentary on Wired's 'Security
Matters' here:

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2007/05/s
ecuritymatters_0517

I totally agree with Bruce on the overreaction to these rare risks, save the
terror attacks.

These(terror attacks) are carefully planned and the perpetrators may lay low
for years waiting for the right time to strike. I think he mistakely
compares "rare" to one-shot-premeditated-carefully-planned" attacks. So we
shouldn't discount the rarity of terror simply because it doesnt happen
every day.

Someday hopefully Bruce will dare to prescribe a solution to all our risks
instead of just arm-chairing decisions made by the government and
organizations around these rare risks. So Bruce, what do we do instead of
banning box cutters? </rhetorical sentence>

If the media wouldn't make so much of these rare incidents when they occur
and if ambulance chasing lawyers wouldn't lead the charge to sue for every
little misstep that is made when these events happen, its likely that cooler
heads would prevail and security measures would  be better thought through
and implemented. Security measures that really work instead of the current
theatrical ones.