funsec mailing list archives

Re: Malware Knocks Defense Department e-Mail Offline

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 03:54:42 -0400

On 6/22/07, Technocrat <dj.technocrat.listmail () gmail com> wrote:

On 6/22/07, Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:
> And now that el reg has it, its official ;-)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/22/department_of_defense_email_hacked/

It is quite possible that 1,500 computers were taken offline, but that
sounds like a much bigger issue than some e-mail getting hacked....

I still think it was 1,500 e-mail accounts. But perhaps my information is
wrong as well...don't know. I guess only time will tell.

1500 mail servers does sound like a bit much

1500 workstations that were turned into bots sounds more reasonable,
but it is still unreasonable to assume they could find and disable
these 1500 so quickly after failing to secure them in the first place

I agree that 1500 email boxen sounds more likely (or at least a lot
less scary :-)

either way: nice blog,

-JP