funsec mailing list archives

RE: RE: funsec Office 2007 has 0 security issues

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 02:29:46 +1200

Larry Seltzer to Valdis Kletnieks:

If they'll go to the effort of saving an encrypted .zip file, then
opening it with the provided password, they'll open a .doc file.

I'm actually not convinced that the encrypted zip file technique was
ever very successful. There's no way to prove it was. All those worms
sent out in this way were also sent out in unencrypted form.

All?

I think that's wrong.  I'm fairly sure there were a few that only went
out in pwded .ZIPs, but can't check just now.  These were NOT the most
successful ones of their era though.  I can confirm (without offerring
the details of the confidentially provided proof) that some of these
pwded .ZIPs achieved the apparent aim of this technique -- getting past
corporate policies that specifically allowed pwded .ZIP attachments
_AND_ in at least a few cases got unpacked and run.

I've asked the malware companies about this over the years and never got
an answer, and I think it's because they don't know, and they can't
know.

I think you're right that using pwded .ZIP, per se, does not make mass-
mailers notably more successful, but it will almost certainly (still)
get a few instances of such a virus unpacked and run places it wouldn't
otherwise, and once upon a time that increased the chance of what I
call "the Boeing effect" coming into play...

Anyway, this is mainly of academic interest now, as in general the
attack scenario is no longer anything like the "get really big, really
fast and don't worry about making lots of noise while doing it"
approach that motivated the folk behind most of those viruses we are
talking about here.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald