funsec mailing list archives

Re: Delicious Irony of the Day: BillOReilly.com DDoS'd

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:16:47 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, Chris Blask wrote:

At 03:25 PM 3/11/2007, Drsolly wrote:
...now I miss that point.  The state owns the property on my property
and that is still somehow inalienable property rights for me, the
citizen?  Yes, I wish my property belonged to me, that being kinda
the theme song of inalienable property rights...

Likewise in this case. If you own a piece of land, there might be a
right of way across it, in which case you don't have the right to put up a
fence that blocks that right of way. There might also be a covenant to
manitain your fences that you agreed to when you bought the property. It
might also specify that another person has grazing rights on part of your
property, and another one has the right to gather firewood.

Now you might *wish* that you owned all those rights. But that doesn't
mean you do, or that you should.

However, the rights that you do have on your property, are inalienable.

Hope that explains what I meant.

I hear what you are saying, but the point is that the state in this
case took so many of the rights that what was left is arguably
without much value and does not represent "owning the land".  By the

That just means "I want more rights than I currently have".

Victorian deed the holder of the property had the right to live on
it, but owned neither what was above the soil nor what is below the
soil.  That does not leave a lot of room to inalienably own anything
as far as real estate is concerned...

The fact that I don't own the air that I breathe, has never bothered me.
And since I'm not trying to run a coal mine, if I don't have the right to
dig a mine on my land, that doesn't bother me either. Although maybe I do
have that right. Like I said, since I'm not prospecting for coal, I'm not
bothered.

Fortunately those terms and conditions no longer apply, I can fell my
own timber and dig my own sand.  The Jon Stewart book "America,
Democracy Inaction" has a great bit on this <sic> "Canada over
decades of negotiation with the British Monarchy earned the right to
dry cod on land in Canada".  That's freedom for you! ;~)

No, it's capitalism. If you don't own the right to something, then you
have to purchase that right, or swap it for something else, or negotiate
something, or do without. I currently do not have the right to build an
atomic power station on my land. Indeed, I don't even have the right to
build seventeen more houses on my land. If I wanted either of those
rights, I'd have to take action to acquire them, just like if I want a
book, I have to go buy it.