funsec mailing list archives

Re: Delicious Irony of the Day: BillOReilly.com DDoS'd

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 21:15:24 -0600

On 3/9/07, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:

Props to Alex Eckelberry and the crew at Sunbelt for noticing this
first, some background here at InformationWeek.

[snip]

The official Web site for Bill O'Reilly was taken down by a repeated
denial-of-service attack this week.

The site for the controversial conservative pundit was hit over the course
of two days, according to an advisory posted on the Web site.
"BillOReilly.com was attacked repeatedly by a malicious technology called
'botnet,' " reads the statement. "This means that the site was bombarded
by
data that overloaded our firewalls. We had to take the site down in order
to protect it, and so we could make sure that every possible
countermeasure
was being taken."

And this is deliciously ironic in what way?

Unlike the oreilly website that could not change the channel and had to
endure the DDOS, you and I are free to mitigate his DDOS by simply turning
the channel..

Are you supporting the notion that DDOS is ok as long as it suits your
political needs?