funsec mailing list archives

RE: "Safest ever" passport is not fit for purpose

From: <Toralv_Dirro () McAfee com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 17:32:56 -0000

They are still this stupid/dump/blind after all this time?

I know very little about this specific project, but I suspect
that you're listening to the first cuckoo of spring. Or
perhaps a bureaucract recycling the assurances of a third
party supplier. The essential driver here is that it's
political suicide to give any credence to the possibility
that a high profile public project is not in every sense
perfect. My forecast for the mid-term future is along the
lines of either an under-publicized switch in suppliers or a
shelving of the project disguised as deferral, but
realistically it probably has to be the former. The least
likely outcome is a public admission that the customer
specification/underlying concept is in any way flawed, but it
may be that some of the conceptual holes will get a dab of
Polyfilla along with a change of provider.

Looking at previous publications looking into the problems of using RFID
chips for passports (Lukas Grunwald et al) in the last months/years it
really seems the deliberately chose to remain completely ignorant of the
issue.

Last night a Home Office spokesman said: "We do not believe it would
be possible
to successfully forge a new passport by doing this."

While this is fine, but probably remains to be proven, this so
completely misses the point of a person's identity being stolen,
underlining they are still ignorant of the problem.

cheers,
Toralv