funsec mailing list archives

Re: IronPort Executive Criticizes ISPs for Helping 'Pollute'the Internet.

From: "Alex Shipp \(elist\)" <elist-alex () starlabs net>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:20:27 -0000

My rationale is this: The majority of spam is being generated by
spambots, and ISPs have basically passed the buck on taking
their share of the responsibility in helping the community-at-large
in getting this mess under control.

On the other hand, in ISOI we saw that the ISPs *are* making efforts
eg walled gardens, arrests, etc

So I don't think it is fair to say they are passing the buck, rather
that they have the same problem as an oil tanker - it takes a long time
to make a course change, even if you *really* want to.