funsec mailing list archives

Re: Bizarre Story of the Day: 'Wrong IP Address' Leads to Sha q Attack on I nnocent Family

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 15:30:45 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Brian Loe wrote:

On 10/24/06, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
The seriously disturbing thing about this whole thing is the
sheer ridiculous, and dangerous, publicity nature of it.

Like the raid on the Branch Davidians?

This whole thing sticks. Especially since it was a wrongful
intrusion on a backwoods family...

I'm always perplexed by people's continued support of these types of
raids. I KNOW people who have been raided for drugs, based purely on
an anonymous call! I HATE people who harm children, and believe fully
that those who create or trade in child pornography should be hunted
down and shot. However, again, individual rights must be protected
first and this story is just one of millions that shows why.

For that matter, it's another scenario about what's wrong with DUI and
NARC checks....

Huh?

The story that I read, says that it was a mistake. The police had an IP
address, but that doesn't give them a physical address. So they contacted
the ISP, who looked it up, and gave them the *wrong* physical address, and
the police did the raid based on that.

An unfortunate mistake (on the part of the ISP), but not something that is
the fault of the police.

So then they got the right address from the ISP, did the raid to the right
place, and caught a child pornogrphy distributor.

So your wish that this type of person should be hunted down and shot, came
true, except that they haven't been shot, because they're entitled to a
fair trial first (and that's the protection of the individual rights).

You could argue that the ISP should not have made the mistake, but people
do make mistakes, and you can't legislate that they mustn't.