funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] FBI Director Wants ISPs to Track Users

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 01:43:14 GMT

I knew that the Chertoff "announcement" wasn't just an isolated
thing. This is a concerted effort to track you on the Net.

Declan McCullagh, on C|Net News.

[snip]

FBI Director Robert Mueller on Tuesday called on Internet service
providers to record their customers' online activities, a move that
anticipates a fierce debate over privacy and law enforcement in
Washington next year.

"Terrorists coordinate their plans cloaked in the anonymity of the
Internet, as do violent sexual predators prowling chat rooms," Mueller
said in a speech at the International Association of Chiefs of Police
conference in Boston.

"All too often, we find that before we can catch these offenders,
Internet service providers have unwittingly deleted the very records
that would help us identify these offenders and protect future
victims," Mueller said. "We must find a balance between the legitimate
need for privacy and law enforcement's clear need for access."

The speech to the law enforcement group, which approved a resolution on
the topic earlier in the day, echoes other calls from Bush
administration officials to force private firms to record information
about customers. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, for instance, told
Congress last month that "this is a national problem that requires
federal legislation."

[snip]

More:
http://news.com.com/2100-7348_3-6126877.html