funsec mailing list archives

Re: funsec Digest, Vol 14, Issue 31

From: Randall Mueller <randallm () fidmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:56:37 -0500

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:23:29 +0100 (BST)
From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Subject: Re: [funsec] 1 in 3 workers write down passwords
To: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Cc: "FunSec \[List\]" <funsec () linuxbox org>

No, that undermines security.

People who need three dozen passwords and have believed this silly rule
about not writing them down, have to:

1) Choose trivially easy passwords if they're allowed to (eg, password =
username)

2) Choose the same password on every system they use

People who enforce the silly rule about not writing them down, and enforce
a change every month:

1) Have not understood how passwords get compromised

2) Probably have a lot more passwords to remember than the average user,
and so - write them down.

3) Have become accustomed to being phoned up and asked for the password,
and have become accustomed to give out the password on request.

Writing down should be taught along side of "Fudging" your password. Best dang thing I ever heard of. If you haven't heard of this it is adding extra numbers or letters that are your "Fudging" letters. Now the user simply has to look at the written down password and only remember their "fudge" letters and not enter those. Like, "m8ypaFss3word" I only have to remember the 8, F and 3. Remove them and their you have it "mypassword". Love it.