funsec mailing list archives

Re: Censorship by the BBC?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:22:51 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Richard M. Smith wrote:

Hi,

One of my favorite shows on television was the 1980 BBC mini-series called
"Oppenheimer".  It is a docudrama that tells the history of the Manhattan
Project.  I have been waiting forever for the series to come out on tape or
DVD.  The BBC finally released the series on a 3-set DVD this past summer.
The set is only being sold in the UK, but this is no big deal in the age of
Amazon and FedEx.  I was able to order the set from Amazon UK and had it
sent to the U.S. in a couple of days.

However, for reasons unknown, the DVDs are region coded so that it can be
played only in Europe.  This form of censorship makes no sense at all
especially from a news organization like the BBC.  Although, the Oppenheimer
DVDs won't play on my regular DVD player, they play just fine on my computer
with a number of different DVD player software packages.  It's nice to see
that the computer industry is not buying into the silly idea of
region-coding censorship.

Here's a bit more about the Oppenheimer DVD set at Amazon UK:

   http://tinyurl.com/ya26x5

Richard M. Smith
http://www.ComputerBytesMan.com

It isn't censorship.

When we started to sell Dr Solomon's antivirus in the USA, we were told
that we had to sell it at a price that was competitive with other, much
cheaper, products. We then had to consider whether to drop our price in
other countries to match the US price. If we had, the loss of revenue
would have been so great, that the revenue from the US wouldn't have made
up for it.

Also, the retailers in other countries would have been very angry at us,
if we'd dropped the price.

So, we sold it at one price in the US, and a rather higher price in other
countries.

Then, of course, people would buy the US version (which was identiceal to
the UK version, apart from the spelling in the manual) and import it into
the UK.

So, I know the issue that they're trying to handle.

The purpose of the different "regions" on DVD, is to stop people buying a
DVD where it's cheapest, and get them to buy the higher-priced (but
identical) version instead. People who buy the cheaper version and import
it, are called "Grey-marketers", an epithet that sounds like they're doing
something naughty, which they aren't.

My DVD player (and I think most others) is "multi-region". It was shipped
as one region only, but a simple setup change meant it could play any
region DVD.

So, it isn't censorship, it's a marketing thing called "segmenting the
market".

Use Google if you don't know how to set your DVD for multi-region, there's
probably a way.