funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. Senators Propose Repeal of National ID Card Law

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:14:04 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Dude Van Winkle wrote:

Fergie wrote:
Via CDT.org.

[snip]

A pair of Senators last week proposed legislation to repeal a
controversial
law mandating the creation of a national identification card. Senators
Daniel Akaka (D-Hawaii) and John Sununu (R-N.H.) proposed the bill on the
last day before the 109th Congress adjourned for good, but are likely to
reintroduce it in 2007.

I dont understand the big deal about a national id card. We already have
drivers licenses and social security cards, Military IDs, College/School
ID's, Work Badges, and Passports, so whats the big deal about adding a
standard, especially if we can do away with the need for even two of the
others (which I admit will probably not happen of course, buts its nice
to dream eh?)

"They" already know who we are, and I would like to see anyone do one of
the following without an ID:

But a beer

I can't remember the last time I bought a beer and was asked to show an
ID. I'm pretty sure I never have been.  All I've ever been asked for is a
couple of pounds cash.

Buy Cigarettes

I don't smoke, so I can't be sure, but I don't think I'd be asked for ID.

Buy allergy medication

If it's a non-prescription drug, you just buy it in Boots, or any other
similar shop.

Do anything financially

Mostly, I use cash, and I don't get asked for ID. When I use a credit
card, I don't get asked for ID, unless you could the card itself.

Claim winnings

I've never won anything, because I'm not a gambler.

If all the above needs ID in your country, then you have a real problem!
Which country is this?