funsec mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Makes Concessions to Security Software Makers

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 15:06:03 +1300

Dude VanWinkle to me:

As I am sure you know by now Vista already has several security
hotfixes that are applied, but usually they bundle those fixes into
the next build, but what I was referring to was the statement by
Joanna and zdnet:

Yes, and as you will see, I specifically elided that part of your
message and addressed the issue _in general_, as you had stated it to
the point UI quit quoting you.

My understanding of "blue pill" is that it is far from a given that it
is actually meaningfully doable.  Theoretically, yes, but in a
practically workable, distributed/remote attack scenario???

I'm sure MS has some of it's cleverest folk looking at this and
puzzling over it, but as they probably also haven't come up with a
straight yes/no answer, the judgement call is that it is "safe enough"
to not delay Vista further...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald