funsec mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Makes Concessions to Security Software Makers

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:15:09 +1300

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu to "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon &
Hannah":

Yeah, I know.  But so far it has tended to be after the release.  I suspect that has
more to do with laziness on the part of the blackhats than anything else ...

Amen.  It's not worth the effort to write exploits against non-existent targets.

Well, a lot of folk (reputedly more than any previous release) are
using various Vista beta/RC releases, and you can be sure that not all
of them took heed of (or even read) the warning that being pre-release
software it should not be used in production, or sensitive (aka
"Internet connected") situations...

They still wouldn't make _much_ of a target though, but the bigger
issue is that if you were a black hat with a Vista exploit, releasing
it before Vista shipped would guarantee that the vuln would either be
fixed as a last minute update/patch before the code finally went RTM,
or if you made the release after RTM, the first thing Vista would do
after going online was snag and install a critical security update from
WU/etc that took you out of the game...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald