funsec mailing list archives

Zapping your brain during REM = %8 more memory

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 06:47:42 -0500

from: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn10442&feedId=online-news_rss20

Zapping sleepers' brains boosts memory

...researchers placed two electrodes on the forehead and one behind
each ear of the volunteers and let them sleep.

The students' various sleep stages were monitored using an
electroencephalogram (EEG) machine. When the students entered a period
of light sleep, Born's team started to apply a gentle current in
one-second-long pulses, every second, for about 30 minutes. The EEG
readings revealed that this current had put students into a deeper
state of sleep.

The next morning, the students performed about 8% better on the word
memory test than when they underwent the same type of memory
experiment without brain stimulation.

I am eagerly awaiting stuff like this that can boost the brains
abilities. I have always been told that we only use ~10% of our brains
ability and really want to see how we perform when we are working at
100%

-JP