funsec mailing list archives

SONY: Screwing up again....

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 06:48:59 GMT

Via zone-h.

[snip]

An attempt to patent an innovative file sharing system from Sony have
been denied by the UK Patent office. In an answer from the patent
office, after translation from a somewhat criptic language, unless
you're an english lawyer, we understood that Sony is trying to
introduce in the market a new media file sharing & social networking
system which is supposed to collect information about the users
collecting and redistributing the media, posing a big threat over the
principle of p2p, anonymity.

We are talking about a system because it is probably related to some
hardware device, as we could understand from the document. The patent
was refused because it was not introducing "novelty" - whether you do
it in software or in hardware, it's not something new, except for the
programming that lies within, which is not subject to patent. While
this seems to let us think Sony is about to release a new box (sorry, a
new station) dealing with multimedia, and that it looks like Sony
believes p2p will be at the heart of the future media market, some
questions are rising among the community.

[snip]

More:
http://www.zone-h.org/content/view/14061/31/

- ferg