funsec mailing list archives

Re: Consumer Reports Slammed for Creating 'Test' Viruses

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:10:44 -0700

Blanchard_Michael () emc com wrote:
 Certainly is my opinion, I can't give anyone else's ;-)

I say that because you assert it like it's a provable fact.

  When is it appropriate to write a new virus that the rest of us get stuck cleaning up?

For one, I agree with Jericho (apologies if I'm putting words in his mouth) that generating a new virus is probably the best way to test a virus scanner that is expected to detect new viruses. I'm pretty sure I already know what the answer would be before I even tried, but if I were trying to test it, that would be how I would want to do it.

If I were trying to see how quickly AV companies could write a signature for a new virus, there's one obvious way to do that.

                                        BB