funsec mailing list archives

RE: RE: [privacy] Gas prices and car driving

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 17:12:37 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Gary Funck wrote:

Andrew wrote (in part):

It was a direct question about running into a moose and which speed is
worse (assuming "worse" means likelihood of injury to occupants) --- 20
or 60 miles per hour.   Is there any question that 60 mph, or any speed
greater than the one compared to for that matter, is "worse"?

This may be difficult to model, and may depend upon the strength
of the vehicle relative to the moose.  We should probably first
presume that the moose is standing in the road or running across it.
If he's taking a nap in the middle of the road, then we must
resort to a different line of analysis.  For the purposes of this
analysis, let's assume that he's standing, staring in our headlights.
A 1200 pound moose standing on four legs will not offer the
same resistance as a 1200 pound boulder.  That's because the impact
will tend to lift the moose up off its feet and this will cause
our momentum to be carried forward into the moose rather than being
reflected back into the frame of the car.  Thus the deformation will
unfortunately predominately occur in the moose -- that is where
the bulk of the energry will be transmitted and subsequently absorbed.
If this hypothesis holds true, then it is likely that higher speeds
will serve only to damage the moose more, and will leave our car
frame and body relatively unaffected.  <g>

Assume a thin, light, inextensible moose with elasticity = 1.0 ...