funsec mailing list archives

Re: FYI: Windows Defender on Vista...

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:02:18 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Dude VanWinkle wrote:

On 7/25/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Dude VanWinkle wrote:

On 7/24/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Dude VanWinkle wrote:

Still needs some work,

Doesnt even detect eicar.com :-(

someone pointed out to me (thankfully offine) that I am a moron and
Windows Defender only detects Spyware (well except for Claria apps
;-).

That leads me to wonder if there is an eicar.com for spyware apps?

Any product can detect the Eicar test file, if it wants to. If it doesn't,
that doesn't mean it isn't doing it's job. The test file is just a way to
check that you have it installed correctly, and that it's active.

So is there any standard way to test to see if your antispyware is
active and functioning?

Dunno. Do the antispyware folks have the equivalent of Caro?