funsec mailing list archives

Re: Missile Defence, the live version

From: "Andre Ludwig" <andre.ludwig () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:30:13 -0400

The portable systems are cooler..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJLHX7gxxg

And my guess is they have breed nano elves which they then shoot out
of nano elf cannons, these nano elves have velcro/sticky gloves that
they use to cling onto the incoming projectile and then they go to
work with their plasma cutters on the projectile in mid flight.   I
mean how else could they do it?

On 7/13/06, Jarrod Frates <jfrates.ml () gmail com> wrote:
On 7/13/06, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
> Remember that one end of the missle is *already* on fire and designed to
> withstand some serious heat for at least a few seconds - and the other end
> is being cooled by some really serious airflow.  And keep in mind that many
> of the explosive payloads are going to be hard to trigger by mere heating,
> they often need a detonator cap (probably buried *well* inside where it's
> hard to hit) or electrical discharge or similar.

This setup is based on the Tactical High-Energy Laser, which was able
to take out salvoes of mortar shells in mid-flight, as well as
Katyusha rockets and MANPADS missiles.  It is a very powerful laser,
relatively quick to acquire and shoot.  It can be set for various
profiles, so that it will shoot at a target moving outside of those
parameters but not the Cessna coming in at 80 knots.

The laser is probably intended to detonate the fuel by hitting close
to the middle, or else cause structural failure due to weakening of a
part of the target, causing it to tumble and possibly explode on its
own.  I don't believe it takes long to do so, though I was not able to
find any information on the lasing time per target, something I
suspect is highly classified.

Jarrod