funsec mailing list archives

Re: Surveilling statistical 'Samas

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:42:20 -0500

On 7/11/06, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah
<rMslade () shaw ca> wrote:
Amidst all the furor over surveillance, legalities, and political machinations, I have
failed to be impressed by any indication that wiretapping and so forth was catching
terrorists.  Now there is an indication as to why this is the case:

<SNIP>
"As an exercise to the reader, you can use the same analysis to show that data
mining is an excellent tool for finding stolen credit cards, or stolen cell phones.
Data mining is by no means useless; it's just useless for this particular application."

They haven't admitted to doing it in the first place so its pretty
interesting/funny to read people blubbering about its supposed
purpose.

Its more likely that they are using it to find terrorists "after the
fact" - where they're watching a suspect and mining for any calls he
makes or his circle of friends make etc. Far less resource intensive
to search the logs of this data than trying to filter a pipe, live.
I'll even go out on the ledge and suggest that it might be this work
that led to the big arrest in Canada a little while ago and the
immediate knowledge of their contacts in the US.