funsec mailing list archives

Surveilling statistical 'Samas

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:21:19 -0800

Amidst all the furor over surveillance, legalities, and political machinations, I have
failed to be impressed by any indication that wiretapping and so forth was catching
terrorists.  Now there is an indication as to why this is the case:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/07/terrorists_data.html

"Suppose that NSA's system is really, really, really good, really, really good, with
an accuracy rate of .90, and a misidentification rate of .00001, which means that
only 3,000 innocent people are misidentified as terrorists. With these
suppositions, then the probability that people are terrorists given that NSA's
system of surveillance identifies them as terrorists is only p=0.2308, which is far
from one and well below flipping a coin. NSA's domestic monitoring of everyone's
email and phone calls is useless for finding terrorists.

"As an exercise to the reader, you can use the same analysis to show that data
mining is an excellent tool for finding stolen credit cards, or stolen cell phones.
Data mining is by no means useless; it's just useless for this particular application."

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
I once sent a dozen of my friends a telegram saying FLEE AT ONCE
 - ALL IS DISCOVERED.  They all left town immediately.  - Mark Twain
Dictionary of Information Security  www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=4150
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm