funsec mailing list archives

Re: One reason why firing people via email is a really bad idea

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:23:54 -0500

On 8/31/06, Blanchard_Michael () emc com <Blanchard_Michael () emc com> wrote:
 yah, if not illegal, certainly de-humanizing and it would certainly seem like a really bad practice.  I certainly
wouldn't want to fire or lay-off anyone in IT via e-mail.... I could hear it now...
"oops, I accidentally deleted the exchange GAL before I left the building"
"Oops, I accidentally fell and destroyed the financial and payroll server, it's really a shame we never had a good backup
too"

I worked for a pretty crappy company not all that long ago. They had
an IT guy who called in sick (because he was interviewing elsewhere).
They decided that would be a good time to fire him. Before they shut
off all of his access (which would have been virtually impossible)
they had his phone shut off. Needless to say, he knew he was getting
axed and he made them pay...

I wouldn't say they had it coming, but I will admit to laughing about
it - it was pretty stupid on their part, I thought.