funsec mailing list archives

Re: One reason why firing people via email is a really bad idea

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:41:48 -0500

This wasn't a firing, as I understood it, it was a lay-off. Feels the
same when you're the one going out the door but so far as HR
requirements and Department of Labor concerns go, often even in the
context of corporate policy (or the semi-legally binding employee
handbook), they are two totally different animals.

On 8/31/06, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:12:47 EDT, Blanchard_Michael () emc com said:
> I thought that was illegal here in the states.  I thought all terminations
> had to be done in person.

I don't know that it's a *law* that you must do so.