funsec mailing list archives

Re: Probe to Pluto running windows?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 23:05:19 -0400

On Thu, 04 May 2006 21:33:56 EDT, Dude VanWinkle said:
Ok, I know it not running windows, but how do you explain this:

from: http://www.newscientistspace.com/article.ns?id=dn9093&feedId=online-news_rss20

The team successfully beamed up a new version of command and data
handling software. Every time a new version is sent up, the
spacecraft's main computer has to be rebooted.

It uploads to RAM, then flashes the NVRAM, then reboots to start execution
from the NVRAM.

Anybody who's ever updated their BIOS knows how this works.

I guess they are making kernel changes from 5 billion miles away?

In embedded devices (which this basically is), it's often *all* kernel. ;)

And let's face it - if they want *any* software changes done, they're going
to do it from 5 billion miles away.