funsec mailing list archives

Re: Border Security System Left Open

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:29:24 -0600

On 4/14/06, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:32:41 +1200, Nick FitzGerald said:
Fergie wrote:

A computer failure that hobbled border-screening systems at airports
across the country last August occurred after Homeland Security officials
deliberately held back a security patch that would have protected the
sensitive computers from a virus then sweeping the internet, according to
documents obtained by Wired News.

One has to question whether the folk running these systems even have
the _minimal_ competence for doing their job.

I remember taking a SANS course (win2k, so it was a few years ago, but
still post 9/11) and the instructor told us about the WIFI system in
Heartsfield, and how it was connected with the baggage handling
system.

I didnt believe him of course, but a few months later, I was going to
NYC with a friend, and I verified their app was on the same network as
the free, public 802.11 network.

-JP