funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: [privacy] ACLU Sues Pentagon for Monitoring

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 22:39:52 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Brian Loe wrote:

Right - so if there's different groups of Quakers with different sets of
beliefs, how do you know there isn't a Fundamentalist sect of Quakers that
embraces violence instead of rejecting it? Consider, for example,
Christianity, which is a religion of love and peace, with a commandment
"Thou shalt not kill", but which nevertheless has had groups of people who
called themselves Christians who seem to think that this commandment
doesn't apply.

Man, you love to hate.

No, I love to point out that just because someone claims that they are
non-violent, doesn't make it true.

I think the original commandment was "Thou shalt not murder".

Actually, the original commandment wasn't in English, and different people
translate it differently. But when the Pope launched the Algibensian
Crusade against the Christian folks in the South of France (for example),
it was murder.

The Christians your talking about were European... :>/

Yes, of course they were, but both Europeans and non-Europeans are
capable of claiming that they are non-violent, and then explaining
"except when ...". Also, some people who call themselves Muslims
or Jews are quite capable of killing. My point is that a non-violent
religion, can spin off subgroups that are anything but non-violent. Just
because someone says "we're Somethings and therefore non-violent" doesn't
make it true.