funsec mailing list archives

Re: Database design.

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 23:40:52 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 22:24:33 BST, Drsolly said:

I checked. The mtbf for these drives (according to Maxtor), is 1.2 million
hours = 137 years.

Odd how many people I know who have had disk drives die on them, if they're
supposed to live that long.

I surplused 10 Dell GX-110s from a research lab on campus a while ago. That's
a 6-7 year old box, and of the 10 only 5 had a working drive.  And these
were *not* abused systems - just a normal office environment.  Assuming even
a MTBF 1/5s of the 1.2M hours of some 25 years, what's the statistical
probability of half going dead inside 7 years?

I suggest you redo your calculation with the correct mtbf of 1.2 million
hours.

You're welcome to do the math yourself.

I did. It means it's feasible to use these drives.

Remember IBM DeathStar drives as you do it...

That's not the only drive type that's had severe problems.