funsec mailing list archives

Re: Bird flu (was: Gartner spews more junk)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 15:07:25 -0400

On Tue, 23 May 2006 14:28:06 EDT, "Young, Keith" said:

However, the U.S. Government (both Federal and state/local) is throwing
money and time at this;

Government threw money at making sure we don't take cigarette lighters
and toenail clippers on planes, too.  Doesn't make it a worthwhile thing
to spend money on.

(For the record, I think they *should* spend at least a bit of money to
do generic pandemic planning - but avian-flu specific is probably a bad idea).

Or, better yet, how will the DSL providers support their customers when
their support/installation staff are quarantined at home? Would they
ever come to my house with a new cable modem/router if I needed one?

My DSL modem showed up on my porch in a box with UPS stickers on it.  So I'm
not holding my breath on them coming out with a new one....