funsec mailing list archives

Telco Hand-Off of Call Data to Israeli Company?

From: "Michael Graham" <jmgraham () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:37:23 -0500

I suppose that was somewhat confusing.

I was both attacking the conspiracy theories listed as being laughable
and the thought that Fox news is anything but a propaganda source.  I
suppose I should have quoted the whole thing separately, rather than
leave you thinking that I was arguing with you directly (as opposed to
you being the last person to have the items listed in the thread).

But your rebuttal to the following is unfortunately lackluster.

> Basically, the more you watch Fox news as a primary news source, the more
> likely you are to be massively misinformed about multiple vectors of the
> whole Iraq/Saddam/WMD thing.

Dumbest friggin' thing I've ever heard. So, 60% of the population
watches FNC. 80% of the people are stupid, disinclined to pay that
much attention to all aspects of a story, or don't have the time to
stay up to speed beyond a sound bite. Whats the cause of them being
"misled" again?

Again, show me where they've done such a crappy job of covering a
story as their peers (CNN, NYT), or failing that, a story that is
lopsided and obviously favoring Bush. The stories on their site stay
around forever, surely someone with all your knowledge can find at
least one.

This just shows that you either don't understand the survey or didn't
read it.  I always per fer to assume the audience will read the details
of a survey for themselves, as the typical media "interpretation" of
even well-grounded surveys often misinterprets the actual statistics
generated.  However, since you chose to argue with it without doing
so, here is a proper interpretation for you:

"Misperceptions correlate strongly with media source. People who watch
Fox News as their primary news source were much more likely to be
incorrect on the questions of links to al Qaeda, WMD and world opinion
than those who watched any other source. People who got their primary
news from television were more likely to have misperceptions than
people who got their news from print media, and NPR/PBS viewers were
the best informed on these subjects.

Number of misperceptions per respondent     Fox     CBS     ABC
CNN     NBC     Print media     NPR/PBS
None of the 3     20%     30%     38%     45%     45%     53%     77%
1 or more misperceptions     80     71     61     55     55     47     23
2 or more misperceptions     69     51     41     38     34     26     13
3 or more misperceptions     45     15     16     13     12     9     4

The data also show that these differences aren't explained by
different viewer demographics. For example, the average incorrect
answer rate was 54% for Republican Fox viewers, but only 32% for
Republicans who get their news from PBS-NPR. Viewer education levels
also don't account for the differences between the media sources. The
amount of attention people pay to the news has little effect on the
results, except in the case of print media and to some extent CNN,
where more attention results in being better informed, and Fox News,
where paying more attention to the news actually increases the
likelihood of being misinformed. "

As you can see, your "people don't pay attention so it isn't Fox's
fault" argument is simply not credible.  The MORE attention you pay to
Fox news, the MORE likely you are to be factually incorrect on
important issues.  Conversely, if you pay only marginal attention to a
good news source (PBS/NPR) you are significantly less likely to find
yourself misinformed.

Again, either Fox "news" is unfairly burdened with people who can only
continue to get the facts wrong the more they watch it, or they are
deliberately misleading their viewers.  This is not a debatable point.

Report: http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Iraq/Media_10_02_03_Report.pdf
Statement: http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Iraq/Media_10_02_03_Press.pdf
The questionnaire itself:
http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Iraq/Media_10_02_03_Questionnaire.pdf