funsec mailing list archives

Re: RE: [privacy] Frank Rich: Will the Real Traitors Please S tand Up?

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 18:05:49 GMT

As Singel writes over on 27B Stroke 6:

[snip]

This is not unexpected, given the government has publicly said it was gunning to find investigative reporters' sources
and has already fired a senior career CIA official for merely not disclosing contact with a Washington Post reporter.

It does make the first entry of this blog seem more than a little prescient, let me also remind privacy-conscious
reporters who feel they need to buy pre-paid cell phones that they should pay with cash, have someone else (pick a
homeless guy on the street and pay him $10 ahead of time and $10 later) buy the phone so your image isn't caught on
surveillance cameras, and be careful where you use the phone since the feds could use tower location data to tie the
phone to you.

And yes, by the way, this is what happens when you build a surveillance architecture.

It becomes VERY tempting to turn it to purposes it was never intended for.

[snip]

Link:
http://blog.wired.com/27BStroke6/index.blog?entry_id=1480629

Completely agreed.

- ferg

-- Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

[snip]

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/

Now about that "big ass database of all calls".  Are we hunting
terrorists
or journalists who print things embarrassing to the people in power?

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net