funsec mailing list archives

Re: Greed, stupidity, arrogance, and small genitalia.... (a c orporate study on the bells)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:30:41 -0500

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:16:16 EST, Dude VanWinkle said:

I hear that 99% of fiber is dark fiber, can that be utilized to Our
advantage? (if there is a Them, there has to be an Us too... right?)

I doubt it's 99%.  Now, due to improved lasers and the like, we may only be
using 1% of the available bandwidth, but that's a different number.  There's
like 24 pair between here and campus, and they're all lit.   Of course, only
one or two pair is carrying gigabit traffic, the rest is (for legacy technical
reasons) carrying much slower links...

But they're certainly not dark...

Tor is a great idea, but still relies on the ISP, is there any way to
start an "open source" ISP?

You have 2 basic options:

1) Rent or buy some dark fiber from somebody who may not particularly want you
as a competitor in the same conduit.

2) Trench your own.