funsec mailing list archives

Re: another VX site?

From: Barrie Dempster <barrie () reboot-robot net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 12:37:24 +0000

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 18:11 -0800, dudevanwinkle () gmail com wrote:
<snip>
damn damn damn, viruses it is (it still seems wrong though, then again
so does calling the 12th month "December"
<snip>

Caused by what was probably the first instance of a millenium bug type
program. Whilst programmers programmed the first time measuring
mechanisms, they chose to use 10 for the months because it was a nice
round number and they thought it was cool that it was also 2 in binary
because this was also the time the old "10 types of people" joke was
created. After a while they realised that in an effort to save space on
there calendars and have a nice round numbering system for the months
that they were off by two months. There was long discussion on usenet
somewhere (can't find the thread just now) where they decided to throw
in August and September (which was lucky for me or I wouldn't have been
born). This knocked the last three month forward a bit to be misaligned
with their original positions.

What worries me is that we never learnt from this and programmers have
been making the same mistake ever since.

--
With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

"He who hingeth aboot, geteth hee-haw" Victor - Still Game

blog:  http://reboot-robot.net
sites: http://www.bsrf.org.uk - http://www.security-forums.com
ca:    https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3