funsec mailing list archives

Re: Spam cube

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:30:50 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

Drsolly wrote:

Marketing is working out what people want and need, and making sure that
they know they can get it from you.

"My" definition is pithier...

And I disagree with yours -- if stated along your lines, I'd suggest
that this is better:

   Marketing is working out what people think they need, and making
   sure that they think they can get it from you.

Longer term, of course, it's about trying to ensure that they think
they need your product.

In other words, it's about "perception shaping and management".

In the AV market -- now a very well-established product category with
"matured" marketing -- that boils down to "misleading with the truth",
as the AV marketeers have fostered the totally BS notion that "AV is
essential"

In an ordinary collection of business computers (which means they're
mostly running Windows), do you think that AV is some sort of luxury
extra?

to the point that intelligent, fairly well-informed (large
corporate) systems managers not only believe the official AV marketing
line they collectively write "best practice" documents and such
_enshrining_ the use of exactly these products despite them being all
but useless for the purposes they putatively fulfill.

I defined, maybe 15 years ago, the purpose of an AV. It is to reduce the
cost of using computers in a world that includes viruses.

So, "misleading with the truth" is shorter, more accurate and thus, at
least to my eye, more elegant...

If you're hoping to be in business in the long term, then you work out
what they need, and you also find out what they think they need, and then
you give them both, and try to ensure that they know that they're getting
both.

You give them what they think they need, so that they buy your product.

But you *also* give them what they *actually* need, so that they're
satisfied with their purchase, and don't dump you for some other product
later.