funsec mailing list archives

Re: Israeli Software Company Faces U.S. Probe

From: Aviram Jenik <aviram () beyondsecurity com>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 14:51:59 +0200

On Friday 03 March 2006 07:13, Dude VanWinkle wrote:

Ja, thanks dre. Still, sounds like there was a backdoor. I seem to
remember that it was in 2002-3 that I heard of the whoops-sec, but it
might have just been whiplash from a previous faux pas.

Here's the story as it was told to me by people from CheckPoint,  (one of them
was the person who was in charge of their product security at that time). If
there are any errors they are due to my bad memory.

When CheckPoint did a common criteria evaluation, one of the issues found was
several hardcoded IP addresses that showed up in the binary. Those were all
external IP's traced to a network in Ramat Gan, Israel. This immediately red
flagged FW-1 since the assumption was that information is covertly sent to
those IP's, obviously in the company's headquarter in Ramat Gan. In reality,
those IP's were in dead code used for testing (you had to recompile the
code base to make this testing code work) and the IP's were in Ramat Gan
because, well, that's where the QA machines were located!

The CC people being paranoid as they are, did a full cavity search but found
nothing wrong and thus dropped the suspicion (fact is, FW-1 eventually passed
CC). This example is repeatedly told to every foreign company trying to pass
CC as a warning against what looks benign to the programmer but extremely
suspicious to a paranoid tester. It is also surfaces once in a while when the
CheckPoint rivals are frustrated by their small marketshare and resort to FUD
to gain some.

Recently I heard about it again when a competitor of ours told one of our
resellers that "Israeli companies cannot sell to the federal government
because of the CheckPoint incident". I guess all is fair in love and war...

Note: I don't work for CheckPoint, never had, and don't plan to.

-JP

- Aviram