funsec mailing list archives

Comic Relief: Mobile Carriers, Media Firms Soon to Have Their Feelings Hurt

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 03:03:27 GMT

Alternate headline:

'Mobile Carriers Shoot Themselves, Subscribers in Head'

I truly believe that the technology that mobile carriers are
trying to hype, glorify, charge exhoribitant amounts of money
for (out of sheer greed), and shove down the throats of their
subscribers (read: customers) will backfire on them in a very
entertaining fashion.

Just my opinion -- I could be wrong, and often I am. ;-)

Via Reuters.

[snip]

Cellphone and media companies expect to see a sizable market for advertising on cellphones in coming years, with
options including advertising-subsidized video services, top executives said on Wednesday.

Viacom Inc., which runs MTV and Comedy Central, is working with major operators, and plans to play a major role in the
first trials of mobile ads in the next year.

Sprint Nextel Corp., the No. 3 U.S. mobile provider, is keen to offer subsidized wireless videos and local ads to
cellphones.

[snip]

More wireless guru tech idiocy here:
http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=11388289

- ferg

ps. What they don't say, is that the 'sizaable market' that they
see is from the marketers themselves, not from their customers, of
course. ;-)

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net