funsec mailing list archives

RE: Administrator Accounts

From: "Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]" <sbradcpa () pacbell net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 18:30:00 -0800

Because sir, the decisions on software are not made by the geeks but by the high level folks that haven't a clue about
what securely coded software is.

Larger firms can do RFPs but even then the team designing the specs has to know what they are talking about. What drives software sales? Security? No, it's because someone else made the decision that they needed the program that integrates that into that and throws up cute little pie charts. Or it syncs with a cell phone, or some other thing that made it the software you just had to have.
Hang around the ActiveDir.org listserves where the folks complain about management buying something AD integrated and only after
the contract has been signed does someone look to see what "it" needs to bolt onto that network or worry about the
security implications of what adjustments it needs to the Active Directory environment.

Right now there is not enough folks in the decision making roles that ask the tough questions from vendors.
It plays into this:

RSA: Secure software is up to businesses
Most businesses aren't doing enough to
build and buy securely written software,
according to a panel of corporate security
executives, academics and professional
software developers speaking at the
RSA Security Conference 2006 yesterday.

http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,108716,00.html
http://www.securesoftwareforum.com/assets/documents/SPISSFWhitePaper.pdf

We're not pushing because the people making the decisions and signing the checks do not know enough to know to ask the
right questions.

Right now Intuit got away with it until the SANS.org site made them their "first inductee into the Local Admin Hall of Shame", that and
also the fact that Microsoft's accounting application came into the marketplace and added competition (which is ironic, isn't it?), they
have since announced that they will "fix this issue" in the 2007 program.

The marketplace has to care and until it does, Vendors have no incentive to fix this.

This accountant thinks it's shameful that so many of my own industry's applications are lacking in the foundations of
security.

Back to lurking....

Susan