funsec mailing list archives

RE: Nigerians Arrested in Holland for Internet 419 Scam

From: "Gary Funck" <gary () intrepid com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:35:38 -0800

Dutch police said they had arrested 12 Nigerians in connection
with an Internet scam in which emails were sent to Americans
tricking them into investing in non-existent schemes.

Wow.  I never thought that _real_ Nigerians were behind
those 419 schemes.  Almost adds an air of legitimacy.

Most of the victims of the scam were US citizens.

Fool me once, fool me twice, fool me a few thousand times. <g>

The gang has posted some 100,000 emails to potential victims, police said.

And that was just in one day. <g>

Hey with $25,000 in cash laying around, and given 100,000 emails,
they were averaging $4/message.  A lot higher than I would've thought.